Thursday, September 23, 2004

Cat Stevens: Terrorist?


The former singer boarded a plane from London to Washington despite being on the US "no-fly" list. He was quickly sent back to London. I feel much safer now.

Now I've been happy lately, thinking about the good things to come
And I believe it could be, something good has begun

Oh I've been smiling lately, dreaming about the world as one
And I believe it could be, some day it's going to come

Cause out on the edge of darkness, there rides a peace train
Oh peace train take this country, come take me home again

Now I?ve been smiling lately, thinking about the good things to come
And I believe it could be, something good has begun

-- from "Peace Train" by Cat Stevens



From: Agence France-Presse
Cat Stevens's expulsion causes rift

The British Foreign Secretary, Jack Straw, has complained to his US counterpart, Colin Powell, about the deportation from the US of the former pop singer Cat Stevens as a possible terrorist risk.

Mr Straw, in New York for United Nations meetings, told Mr Powell that "this action should not have been taken", a British spokesman said.

The singer, who changed his name to Yusuf Islam in the 1970s, said on his return to Britain yesterday: "I'm totally shocked. Half of me wants to smile, and half of me wants to growl. The whole thing is totally ridiculous." He described Mr Straw's intervention as very kind.

A United Airlines flight from London to Washington was diverted to Bangor, Maine, on Tuesday after US authorities discovered that he was on board.

No comments: