Saturday, August 02, 2003

What a long strange trip it's been...

I'm back! I know you missed me.


Trains..

Travelling around by train is an experience. We had to change trains in Washington's Union Station, which looks more like an airport than Philly's 30th Street Station or Pennsylvania Station in New York. We got sandwiches and brought them back to the waiting area to eat. As soon as we opened them and were ready to eat we heard a voice say "could you move that purse." And my female companion picked up her purse, which was on the seat next to her and put it with the rest of our bags. The man then sat down next to her.

This would not be surprising or annoying if the waiting area was full, but it wasn't. In fact we were sitting at the end of row of about ten or twelve seats along a wall and we were the only ones in those seats. Not only were there ten other seats for him to sit in, but the seat he wanted was behind a column that was about four feet in diameter and about one foot in front of the chair.

As soon as he sat down my friend looked at me in disbelief. I told her that we should move, so we started packing up our lunch. Then the kook said "Don't move on my behalf. Just because I have half a leg you don't have to leave." This guy was in his mid-thirties wearing wrap around mirrored sunglasses, jeans, boots (yes two of them), and he was mumbling. So we moved to two of the fifty or so available seats and ate our lunch and he sat there staring at the column that was right in front of him.


Wrigley Field...

I went to the Cubs - Giants game on Thursday at Wrigley Field in Chicago. It was my first time there and I loved it. It is a beautiful ballpark and I now know why it is know as "The Friendly Confines."

What a difference from Fenway. Both are great old parks but the Chicago experience was much more pleasant. The fans were nicer, the employees were friendlier, the food was less expensive, and the beer was cold. That's right, cold beer! And only $4.50-$5.00 compared to $6.25 at Fenway. The sausage is better in Boston.

The game was another one-sided affair--the Cubs won 9-4. I got to see Sammy Sosa hit a homerun and Barry Bonds go hitless. :-)

Anyhow, I am happy to be home again.



No comments: