Friday, October 01, 2004

Debate: Round 1

Unfortunately, I had to attend a lecture last night (which was very good) so I missed a lot of the debate. I caught the last hour of it on the radio. I got home and saw only the last few minutes of The Daily Show and then switched over to C-SPAN and they were replaying the debate and it was at about the same point where I started listening on the radio.

So I am at a bit of a disadvantage here, I haven't seen the full debate nor have I heard any real commentary. But from what I did see Bush did not come off as a complete idiot. He did look (and sound) angry a lot of the time. I think he just does not like to be challenged on anything. I could hear the anger in his voice when Kerry or the moderator suggested he might have made a wrong decision.

I bet that he was the kid who would show up at the ball field with the bats and balls so he would get to decide who was on his team and he appointed himself pitcher, and batted first, etc. And then he gets to organized ball (Little League or whatever) and then he doesn't get to do what he wants to do all the time so he quits.

Back to the debate. I was surprised that Kerry was able to articulate his positions in only a sentence or two. I know Bush wanted to say "flip-flop" so bad. But I think that Kerry may have scored some points with people who were seeing at length for the first time. He may have pulled in a few people...or maybe not.

I'll have to turn on the cable news programs this morning and see how they are spinning it.

2 comments:

Rob said...

The one thing that I noticed on the radio was that Kerry answered the questions and seemed to know exactly where he was going, while Bush seemed to say whatever came into his head and then there were long silences from Bush (which do not play well on the radio).

Rob said...

watch video