Friday, July 04, 2003


I found myself in an awkward position yesterday while watching the Cubs-Phillies game. Usually I would like to see the Phillies score as many runs as possible, but in the bottom of the 8th inning and Phils on second and third and two outs the Cubs brought in reliever Juan Cruz. He hit the first batter that he faced, Mike Lieberthal, to load the bases. Then Cruz just could not find the plate. He ended up walking in two or three runs and one of the pitches for ball four was behind the batter.

I actually wanted him to just put a pitch over the plate so that someone could hit into an out. After about six or seven pitches in a row that were out of the strike zone he got one over for a strike and the Philadephia crowd cheered. Then he struck out the last batter.

I felt sorry for the guy. Standing out there in front of 60,000 fans and he could not throw a strike.

No comments: