Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Is it spring yet?

It was a beautiful day today--for February 15th, that is. As I write this it is 54°F outside. It was even warm enough to take the baby for a walk. We walked around the neighborhood and he seemed to enjoy the new smells and bright sunshine while I tried to navigate around the sidewalks where tree roots have pushed through.

Also on a day like today I start to think about baseball. Spring traing is beginning in a few days and the Phillies home opener is on April 4 against the Washington Nationals. I don't know if I will get to a Phillies game this year but there is a Class A Short Season team nearby and it is fun to go to those games. My son will be six or seven months old by the time that their season starts so we may take him to a game or two. I took my nephew to a AAA game when he was about four years old. He sat there and ate a soft pretzel and some chicken fingers and he watched the birds but I don't think that he knew there was a game going on. After the game they let the kids run the bases so I took him down onto the field to see if he wanted to do that. He made about three trips around before he wore himself out.

My dad and I went to opening day in Philly last year. It was cold and wet and the Phillies lost, but we had a good time. This year the Phils have a new manager and sa few new players; it could be their year. I think that every year.