Friday, September 05, 2003

Poem of the Day:

I Took a Piece of Plastic Clay
by: Author Unknown

I took a piece of plastic clay
And idly fashioned it one day-
And as my fingers pressed it, still
It moved and yielded to my will.


I came again when days were past
The bit of clay was hard at last.
The form I gave it, still it bore,
And I could change that form no more!


I took a piece of living clay,
And gently fashioned it day by day,
And molded with my power and art
A young child's soft and yielding heart.


I came again when years were gone:
It was a man I looked upon.
He still that early impress bore,
And I could fashion it never more.



Spoken on the Senate floor today by Senator Robert Byrd (D-WV) while arguing for his amendment to a funding bill for the "no child left behind" program.

No comments: