Sunday, September 28, 2003

Baseball Notes

  • Congratulations to the Tigers on their 43rd win of the season - I saw one of their 119 losses and one of Bonderman's 19 losses.

  • Congratulations to the Cubs and the Red Sox, both made it to post season this year. Wouldn't that be quite a World Series, one of them would have to win.

  • Goodbye Veterans' Stadium! After 33 years the Phillies get a real ballpark--with real grass!



On the Fightin' Phils...

The press is calling for Larry Bowa to be fired. In three seasons at the helm Bowa has not made it to the playoffs, but in his first season the Phils finished two games back of the Braves, last year they got off to a bad start but finished strong, and this year it came down to the final week of the season. I look for Bowa to be back next season and to be there well beyond that.

Jim Thome had an outstanding year. Unless Barry Bonds hits two homeruns today Thome will lead the league in homers. He is also one the best guys in the game.

After a great season last year Pat Burrell struggled all season. The Philly fans who are known for booing Santa Claus even cheered on Burrell throughout the year. Finishing the season just above the Mendoza Line, he has a long off season ahead of him.

I am looking forward to the 2004 season at the new ballpark. My second big league game was at the Vet (the first was at Shea, Mets vs. Expos). Usually once or twice a season my dad and my uncle would take my brother and me to a Phillies game and I was at game six of the 1993 World Series at the Vet. Next year I hope to take my dad to a game at the new park.

No comments: