Sunday, October 14, 2007

Smokers stink

Last week I was driving with my son to the hospital to visit my mother. On the way there I was behind a car driven by a woman who was smoking. We would stop at a traffic light and then start up again and I would have to drive through the cigarette smoke. At the third stop I noticed something move in the back of her car. I got a closer look and saw that there was a baby in a car seat in the back of her car.

This got me extremely angry. I was thinking that it should be illegal to smoke in a car with a child. It's not--but it should be. There was a police car stopped at the light on the other side of the intersection and I wanted to stop and ask if there is anything that he can do about this woman forcing cigarette smoke into her child's lungs, but I knew there wasn't anything he could do.

Then we arrived at the hospital. With my 2 1/2 year old son holding my hand, I approached the entrance which was surrounded by people smoking. By the time we reached the door we smelled like an ashtray. And right there on the door was a big sign which read, "smoking prohibited within 50 feet of this entrance." Yet, there they were just 10 to 15 feet from the door.

I don't care if these people smoke and kill themselves. Smoke in your car or home (with the windows closed and no children present). I do care that I have to breathe their disgusting smoke and that they force there children to breathe cigarette smoke. We should not even need a law, people should just know better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If people are smokers, then chances are they don't "know any better" to begin with. These are the people that need big brother's heavy handed services. Lest they pass on their ignorance and stupidity to generations.