Thursday, November 17, 2005

Baby's first Halloween

My sister invited us to bring the baby to the annual Halloween party at her church. So we quickly put together a costume for him. We dressed him in a red sleeper and put a red turtleneck over it. We glued a piece of white fabric over his tummy. Now he just needed something for his head. I ran into the Family Dollar store and found a red knit hat for $1 and a $1 red plastic crazy straw cup that was shaped sort of like a heart with a hole in the middle. I put the lid of the cup inside the hat and screwed the cup on the outside. Put the hat on his head and he was Po. And he looked pretty good for a $2 costume. In fact he won the prize for the cutest. The prize: coupons for Burger King french fries and a small Coke. I guess those coupons will go in the scrapbook. I know that people feed that crap to kids but I can't imagine encouraging it.

My mother and father were there too. Just as we were getting ready to leave my mother said she would hold the baby while I put on my coat. She had him for maybe ten seconds and I turned around to get him and she is wiping white icing from his mouth. He is ten months old and she is feeding him icing, and after she asked me earlier if he could have some and said no. So I took him back from her and said, " Nanny has lost her baby privileges." Grandparents!

Anyhow, we had fun. We felt like we were crashing the party since we do not go there, but it is the family church. I went there as a kid and my parents and sister and various cousins attend, so it is sort of like a family gathering.

We will have another family gathering today at the hospital. My father is getting his knee replaced today. He is probably in surgery right now. He is not in the best health and I'm a bit worried about him having any surgery but he could hardly walk on his knee. I hope this helps him.

No comments: