Wednesday, November 12, 2003

“Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.”

I was in the mall a couple of weeks ago, it was a day or two before Halloween, and I walked into a department store. To my surprise, the whole store was decorated for Christmas. It wasn't even November and and already they were selling Christmas.

That reminded me that it was time for one of my favorite days of the year -- Buy Nothing Day, observed here in the US on the day after Thanksgiving. Americans have traditionally observed this day, Black Friday, by spending time looking for a place to park their SUVs at the mall and waiting in line to buy more stuff.

According to Adbusters.org 5% of the world's population consumes about 30% of its natural resources and 20% of the earth's population uses 80% of its natural resources. Of course, we in the United State are part of the 20% that overconsumes.

Over the past few years I have adopted a new way of thinking. I have not become an ascetic but I have realized that by spending less I actually can have more. I buy most of my clothes at the Goodwill store. I have a 17 year old car that I drive very rarely. I get a lot of my food at a bulk food store and at the farmers' market. This isn't an all-or-nothing lifestyle, and by no means do I deprive myself of things-- I love my computer and my cable television. But, I have been gradually adapting my buying habits.

We have been told by the Bush Administration that it is our patriotic duty to buy stuff. After we were attacked on September 11, 2001, by an unknown enemy the President and his handlers took to the airwaves to tell us to go out and live life as normal and spend money. If we are at war one would think that we should conserve resources, instead the Bushies were fanning the flames of consumerism.

Schoolchildren are even encouraged to buy softdrinks and and candy from vending machines in schools. They are exposed to product placement in their textbooks, and advertisements in their schools.

This holiday season take a break from the malls, spend some time with your family and friends. Instead of buying things that people don't need visit Heifer.org and make a gift to someone who could really use it.




Buy Nothing Day

No comments: