Friday, January 24, 2003

I watched Naked on IFC the other night. I've seen this film about five times and I enjoy it each time. There are several sexual "encounters" in the film which are really disturbing, but I find myself laughing (yes, alone in the dark) through the rest of the movie.

The character Johnny, played by David Thewlis, seems to derive his only joy in life by playing mind games with anyone he meets. I get in trouble all the time because when I am at a family gathering I automatically take the opposite view in any conversation just to see what kind of response I get. Johnny takes this to the extreme.

He shows up at his ex-girlfriend's place in London and she asks:
    Louise: How did you get here?
    Johnny: Well, basically, there was this little dot, right? And the dot went bang and the bang expanded. Energy formed into matter, matter cooled, matter lived, the amoeba to fish, to fish to fowl, to fowl to frog, to frog to mammal, the mammal to monkey, to monkey to man, amo amas amat, quid pro quo, memento mori, ad infinitum, sprinkle on a little bit of grated cheese and leave under the grill till Doomsday.

Louise just looks at him with a straight face.

There is also this exchange with a security guard at a vacant office building:
    Johnny: And what is it what goes on in this postmodern gas chamber?
    Brian: Nothing. It's empty.
    Johnny: So what is it you guard, then?
    Brian: Space.
    Johnny: You're guarding space? That's stupid, isn't it? Because someone could break in there and steal all the fuckin' space and you wouldn't know it's gone, would you?
    Brian: Good point.


Okay, I know, I am nuts, but I find that amusing. If David Sedaris was a homeless man from Manchester he would be Johnny.

No comments: