Monday, December 13, 2004

Birth story

Birth is the most exciting thing and scariest thing I have ever witnessed. It was a long labor. She planned on doing it without any kind of pain relief but after suffering through back labor and going without much sleep for over two days she changed her mind. I am so glad that she did. The midwife suggested an epidural so we talked to the anesthesiologist and agreed to do it. Within minutes she was asleep and she slept through contractions for a few hours.

About twelve hours after we arrived she was able to start pushing. She pushed on almost every contraction for 3 1/2 hours. I could see the baby's hair but he just wouldn't come out. The midwife brought the doctor in and they said that they wanted to use a vacuum to help get the baby out. We asked about the risks and after they explained them we tried a few more pushes and then agreed to the vacuum.

So the pediatrics team showed up and manned the baby warmer, the doctor and the midwife put on gowns and eye protection and we were ready to have a baby. I was right there as the doctor pulled the head out. Then an arm and another arm and the rest of the baby. As soon as it was out they put two clips on the cord and cut between them. They took the baby's limp blue body right to the warmer where they suctioned his nose and mouth and rubbed him and gave him oxygen. He took a breath and and then let out a scream. His face and torso turned purple then pink. His arms and legs remained a bit purple for a while.

By this point my knees were getting weak and my head was spinning. I thought for sure that there was something wrong with him. I went over to get a closer look him and he was beautiful. My eyes filled with tears. I went back over to his mother and held her hand. She asked if he was okay and I told her that he was beautiful.

We spent the next two and a half days there. The baby is extremely pleasant. He is being followed for a few minor (we hope) health concerns but he is great. It seems like we've always had him.

No comments: