Friday, January 09, 2004

My First Mister

I watched the film My First Mister the other day on Sundance. I enjoyed it. It is not the best movie I've ever seen, but I enjoyed it.

Albert Brooks plays a 49 year old "square" and Leelee Sobieski plays a pierced and tattooed 17 year old with a strange family. The two of them become unlikely friends.

Also in the film are Michael McKean as "Bob" the stepfather, John Goodman as the pot-smoking-aged-hippie dad, and Carol Kane as the mother.

Sobieski as "J" needs to earn some spending money so she gets a job at Retail Slut. She is soon fired for having a bad attitude, so she heads to the mall to look for another job. After being denied many times she sees Brooks (as Randall) dressing a mannequin in a conservative clothing store. She finds him amusing and heads in to ask for a job. He tells her to leave because she is scaring the customers, but adds that she should go home and remove the "silverware" from her face and return in a week. She does and their relationship begins. He buys her clothes for work and she takes him to her favorite coffeehouse called Bourgeois Pig.




No comments: